Non Registered Accounts
A non-registered account, or OPEN plan, is a type of investment account that allows individuals to save for the short or long-term with only the capital gains realized inside the account being taxed at 50% of the account holder’s top marginal tax rate.
- OPEN plans have no contribution limits
- OPEN plans allow individuals to build additional savings beyond the maximum amount you can invest in registered plans, and can be used to save for short or long-term goals
- OPEN plans are generally used by investors in conjunction with Registered Retirement Savings Plans (RRSP), as this allows investors to invest the tax savings generated by the RRSP into the OPEN plan.
- Capital gains realized inside OPEN plans are taxed at 50% of the account holder’s top marginal tax rate
- Individuals can hold a range of investments in OPEN plan